of course the full digest has many more that may be of interest to you

  Barry Wellman

  Cooperation and Punishment , Science

Excerpt: In an era in which the "tragedy of the commons" has acquired new
meaning on a global scale, social scientists are beginning to find hope in
human nature. True, we are self-interested creatures capable of destroying
the habitats that support us as we each focus on getting our share of the
global commons before others beat us to it. Yet Homo sapiens could never
have populated the planet and mastered complex technologies and
organizational forms had nature not also made us sensitive to one
another's regard. Both field studies and laboratory experiments depict
humans as willing to cooperate when convinced that others are doing the
same and that at least some will incur costs to sanction cheating. On page
613 in this issue, Janssen et al. (1) show that communication among
members of a group is key to establishing cooperation and using punishment
effectively, and on page 617, Boyd et al. (2) provide a model of how
signaling (a stylized kind of communication) could have allowed punishment
and cooperation to evolve.

* [28] Cooperation and Punishment, Louis Putterman, 2010/04/30, DOI:
10.1126/science.1189969, Science Vol. 328. no. 5978, pp. 578 - 579

[28] http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1189969

------------------------------

Disrupted Networks: From Physics to Climate Change , World Scientific
Publishing Company

to depend on complex networks for its stability. One way to achieve this
understanding is through the development of a new kind of science, one
that is not explicitly dependent on the traditional disciplines of
biology, economics, physics, sociology and so on; a science of networks.
This text reviews, in non-mathematical language, what we know about the
development of science in the twenty-first century and how that knowledge
influences our world. (...)

* [39] Disrupted Networks: From Physics to Climate Change, Bruce J. West,
nicola scafetta, 2010/04/01, World Scientific Publishing Company