Dear Carl,

I used R in a PhD course on social networks. You still can find the course
website including additional network functions, problem sets and solutions
at:

http://merlin.fae.ua.es/vanderleij/socialnetworks_0809/index.htm

I mostly used the igraph package, which is a good starting point. If you are
more interested in the statistical stuff like p*/ERGM and the longitudinal
models of Siena, you should also consider the RSiena package (as mentioned
by Tom) and the statnet package.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Marco van der Leij

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:19:58 +0200, Carl Nordlund wrote

> Dear all,
> I have recently installed the Windows client of the R language as I
> would like to play around with some of the SNA algorithms found in
> [WINDOWS-1252?]Žibernas blockmodeling package. One problem is that I
simply don't
> know R (yet), so I'm digesting the refence manuals as fast as possible.
>
> However, I guess there are plenty of SNA:ers who are using R in
> their analyses. Is there a SNA-specific reference to be found
> somewhere? I am certain that R is a very worthwhile language to
> learn - and I intend to! - but I'm sort of stuck on simple things
> like how to load/import network data into R... (I have tried using
> M<-read.table('myTabSeparatedData') but it adds row and column
> headers - plus that the resulting M object doesn't seem to be a
> Matrix object)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Yours,
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
> carl.nordlund(at)hek.lu.se
> Human Ecology Division, Lund university
> www.hek.lu.se

Dr Marco J. van der Leij
University Lecturer
Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge
Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge CB3 9DD, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1223 335207. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Assistant Professor (on leave)
Dpto. Fundamentos del Análisis Económico
Universidad de Alicante
Homepage: http://merlin.fae.ua.es/vanderleij/