> As Brian Keegan points out, short path length usually means scaling as the
> log of the network size or slower, but again this can only be established
> for networks that actually have varying size.

And don't forget that, as Mark Newman himself says in the forementioned survey (in the sentence preceding the one quoted by Brian), plain random graphs also have logarithmic (thus very short) average path lenghs.

When you say, 'om my, what a small world, dear!', it's more because you unexpectedly see Tom at Harry's party (thus because of a high clustering coefficient) than because Dick is at six handshakes from you (which you probably won't ever know let alone care about).
If everybody is supposedly at six handshakes from each other, then by definition six handshakes is a very long distance (if the distance were to express the likelyhood of anything in common).

But maybe that was not the question... :)

_
  Christophe Prieur,                                               [log in to unmask]
  Liafa, University Paris-Diderot                           http://liafa.fr/~prieur/
  [user experience research, social networks, (large) graph algorithms]