Carl, have a look Carter Butts article on doing SNA with the R sna package:

Butts CT (2008). Social Network Analysis with sna. Journal of Statistical Software, 24(6). http://www.jstatsoft.org/v24/i06/.

The package itself comes with the larger tool kit statnet (http://csde.washington.edu/statnet/).

Best, Steffen.

-
Dr. Steffen Blaschke
Assistant Professor at the Chair of Organization and Management
Faculty of Business, Economics, and Social Sciences
University of Hamburg
Von-Melle-Park 5
20146 Hamburg, Germany
Office: +49 (40) 42838 4676