Carl,

I too had this problem, when I first started exploring Statnet.

This page was helpful for understanding the data loading process:

http://www.stat.psu.edu/~dhunter/Rnetworks/

The author provides an example for loading an edge list, and a list of attributes.  You will likely notice that the cardinality seems fragile, this is a problem I've encountered many times loading attribute data into network software.  It would be wise to define a few unit tests to ensure data integrity.

Best,
Fred

On May 12, 2010, at 4:19 AM, Carl Nordlund wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have recently installed the Windows client of the R language as I would like to play around with some of the SNA algorithms found in Žibernas blockmodeling package. One problem is that I simply don't know R (yet), so I'm digesting the refence manuals as fast as possible.
>
> However, I guess there are plenty of SNA:ers who are using R in their analyses. Is there a SNA-specific reference to be found somewhere? I am certain that R is a very worthwhile language to learn - and I intend to! - but I'm sort of stuck on simple things like how to load/import network data into R... (I have tried using M<-read.table('myTabSeparatedData') but it adds row and column headers - plus that the resulting M object doesn't seem to be a Matrix object)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Yours,
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
> carl.nordlund(at)hek.lu.se
> Human Ecology Division, Lund university
> www.hek.lu.se

Fred Stutzman
Ph.D. Student and Teaching Fellow
School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
[log in to unmask] | (919) 260-8508 | http://fredstutzman.com/