Hi Courtney,

You may be interested in this paper:

Aral and Van Alstyne (2009) "Networks Information and Brokerage: The
Diversity-Bandwidth Tradeoff"
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=958158

Abstract
The authors propose that a tradeoff between network diversity and
communication channel band-width regulates the degree to which
structurally diverse networks deliver non-redundant information to
actors in brokerage positions. As the structural diversity of a network
increases, the band-width of the communication channels in that network
decrease, creating countervailing effects on the receipt of novel
information. This argument is based on the observation that diverse
networks are typically made up of weaker ties, characterized by narrower
communication channels across which less diverse information is likely
to flow. The diversity-bandwidth tradeoff is moderated by (a) the degree
to which topics are uniformly or heterogeneously distributed over the
alters in a brokerís network, (b) the dimensionality of the information
in a brokerís network (whether the total number of topics communicated
by alters is large or small) and (c) the rate at which the information
possessed by a brokerís contacts refreshes or changes over time. The
authors test these arguments by combining social network and performance
data with direct observation of the information content flowing through
email communication at a medium sized executive recruiting firm. These
analyses unpack the mechanisms that enable information advantages in
networks and serve as a Ďproof-of-conceptí for using email content data
to analyze relationships among information flows, networks and social
capital.

This work was also referred to described explicitly in the context of
combining content and network analysis this article by Ron Burt on p. 958:

Burt (2008) "Information and Structural Holes: Comment on Reagans and
Zuckerman." Industrial and Corporate
Change, 17(5), pp. 953-69.
Available at: http://icc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/dtn033v1

Best

Sinan

Sinan Aral
Assistant Professor, NYU Stern School of Business.
Research Affiliate, MIT Sloan School of Management.
Personal Webpage: http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~saral
SSRN Page: http://ssrn.com/author=110270
WIN Workshop: http://www.winworkshop.net