Hi Courtney,

while it's not the main focus of our working paper, we use genre analysis (Yates & Orlikowski, 1992) to enrich network data on organizational communciation (more specifically, intra-firm collaboration of employees and the themes and topics they are working on).

- Blaschke, S., Schoeneborn, D., and Seidl, D. (2009). Organizations as Networks of Communications: A Methodological Proposal. Working Paper No. 102, University of Zurich. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1512471

Reference:
Yates, J. and Orlikowski, W. J. (1992). Genres of Organizational Communica- tion: A Structural Approach to Studying Communication and Media. Academy of Management Review, 17(2):299326.

Best regards,

Steffen

-
Dr. Steffen Blaschke
Assistant Professor at the Chair of Organization and Management
Faculty of Business, Economics, and Social Sciences
University of Hamburg
Von-Melle-Park 5
20146 Hamburg, Germany
Office: +49 (40) 42838 4676