Kristie,

I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, but one accepted
measure of (local) density is the clustering coefficient such as defined
by Watts and Strogatz, e.g. in

Duncan J. Watts. Small worlds: the dynamics of networks between order
and randomness. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1999.

Regards,

Christoph