Kristie,

I think that the most interesting and robust approach to cohesion and
connectivity is the structural cohesion model:

White, D. and F. Harary (2001). The cohesiveness of blocks in social
networks: Node connectivity and  conditional density. Sociological
Methodology, 305–359.

Moody, J. and D. White (2003). Social cohesion and embeddedness: A
hierarchical conception
 of social groups. American Sociological Review 68(1), 103–28.

Additionally you can take a look to White's wiki:

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Cohesive_blocking

As far as I know, cohesive blocking is only implemented in igraph
(http://igraph.sourceforge.net/)

Salut!