Carl,

I am glad you were able to find your answer.  For general questions about the R language, or specific issues you are having while coding, I HIGHLY recommend the r tag on StackOverflow.com

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r

There was even a good discussion of loading network data a few months back: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1894190/basic-sna-in-r-how-to-load-network-data/1897837

On May 12, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Carl Nordlund wrote:

> Thank you all so much for your helpful assistance! Having worked with Ucinet for several years, I feel that I already got the basics of R although I've only played around with it for a day so far!
>
> Regarding my specific problem, I got it solved now, thanks to Anthon and Katrien. For the archives, in case other might have similar problems in the future, this is how I got this to work:
>
> Beginning with a tab-separated text file containing my network data (though without any row/col headers), I load this into R using the following command:
>
> x<-as.matrix(read.csv('cont.txt',header=FALSE,sep='\t'))
>
> Then, using Zibernas blockmodeling package, I calculate (traditional) REGE eq.factors using:
>
> e<-REGE.for(M=x,iter=3,E=1)
>
> I then write the results in 'e' into a tab-separated file using:
>
> write.table(e,file='results.txt',sep='\t')
>
> Easy peasy! (Except that 'e' contains loads more info than just the final equivalence matrix...)
>
> Thx very much again!
>
> Yours,
> Carl
>

> E. Anthon Eff wrote:
>>
>> Carl:
>>
>> For general R problems this search engine will usually find what you need: http://www.rseek.org/   (the "Support Lists" tab often returns especially helpful results)
>>
>> As for your specific problem, to convert object M to matrix do:
>> M<-as.matrix(M)
>>

>> Anthon
>>
>> Carl Nordlund wrote:
>>> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have recently installed the Windows client of the R language as I would like to play around with some of the SNA algorithms found in Žibernas blockmodeling package. One problem is that I simply don't know R (yet), so I'm digesting the refence manuals as fast as possible.
>>>
>>> However, I guess there are plenty of SNA:ers who are using R in their analyses. Is there a SNA-specific reference to be found somewhere? I am certain that R is a very worthwhile language to learn - and I intend to! - but I'm sort of stuck on simple things like how to load/import network data into R... (I have tried using M<-read.table('myTabSeparatedData') but it adds row and column headers - plus that the resulting M object doesn't seem to be a Matrix object)
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>> Carl
>>>

> --
> Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
> carl.nordlund(at)hek.lu.se
> Human Ecology Division, Lund university
> www.hek.lu.se

Drew Conway
Ph.D. Student
Department of Politics, New York University
http://www.drewconway.com/
@drewconway