Carl,

I am glad you were able to find your answer.  For general questions about the R language, or specific issues you are having while coding, I HIGHLY recommend the r tag on StackOverflow.com

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r

There was even a good discussion of loading network data a few months back: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1894190/basic-sna-in-r-how-to-load-network-data/1897837