Dear Courtney and colleagues,

At my website, one can find the following software which may be relevant to
this issue:

Ti.Exe (at http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/ti ) uses as input a set of
lines (e.g., titles; < 1000 characters) and generates the word/document
occurrence matrix in the Pajek format. Additionally, a file "cosine.dat" is
produced which normalizes the word occurrences using the cosine.
Alternatively, one can import the output in Pajek or UCINet and generate the
1-mode affiliations matrices.

FullText.Exe (at http://ww.leydesdorff.net/software/fulltext ) which uses an
unlimited number of ASCII texts as cases and equally produces a
word/document occurrence matrix.

Both programs have a limit of 1024 words as variables. One can first run a
word frequency analysis for determining the thresholds. Programs for that
are also available. For example, the term-frequency/inversed document
frequency and the contribution of each word to the chi-square can be
provided.

I use these programs heavily in my research and education, but further
feedback for improving them is of course appreciated. For example: Loet
Leydesdorff & Iina Hellsten, Metaphors and Diaphors in Science
Communication: Mapping the Case of ‘Stem-Cell
Research’<http://www.leydesdorff.net/stemcell>,
*Science Communication *27(1), 2005, 64-99.
<pdf-version<http://www.leydesdorff.net/stemcells.pdf>>

Best wishes,
Loet

--