Can anyone suggest papers that place SNA in the broader realm of social science?

I've been exploring SNA of conservation stakeholders, and one of my board members wants to know where it fits among other perspectives, traditions, theories, schools of thought, world views, etc., in social science? He also wonders, assuming that SNA does not provide everything, what other approaches complement SNA for understanding social systems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ken Vance-Borland, Executive Director
The Conservation Planning Institute
"To protect and restore biological diversity through innovative conservation planning
that is focused on effective implementation"
Tel:(541)231-7949 Email: [log in to unmask] Skype: ken.vance.borland
http://www.conservationplanninginstitute.org/
CPI is an IUCN member organization http://www.iucn.org/