Sandy,

We addressed this and the more general relationship between
homophily/assortativity and referral recently here:

Aral, S., Muchnik, L., and Sundararajan, A. (2009). “Distinguishing
Influence Based Contagion from Homophily Driven Diffusion in Dynamic
Networks,” /Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences/, Dec. 22,
2009, vol. 106, no.51.

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/51/21544.full

Hope its useful.

Best

Sinan

Sinan Aral
Assistant Professor, NYU Stern School of Business.
Research Affiliate, MIT Sloan School of Management.
Personal Webpage: http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~saral
SSRN Page: http://ssrn.com/author=110270
WIN Workshop: http://www.winworkshop.net