Dear Ken,

social network analysis (SNA) is a theory-driven methodology, not a theory by itself. It hardly fits a single school of thought but is multitheoretical and multilevel to begin with, as Contractor, Wasserman, and Faust (2006) as well as Monge and Contractor (2003) argue:

- Contractor, N. S., Wasserman, S., & Faust, K. (2006). Testing Multitheoretical, Multilevel Hypotheses About Organizational Networks: An Analytic Framework and Empirical Example. Academy of Management Review, 31(3), 681-703.
- Monge, P. R., & Contractor, N. S. (2003). Theories of Communication Networks. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Best regards,

Steffen.

-
Dr. Steffen Blaschke
Assistant Professor at the Chair of Organization and Management
Faculty of Business, Economics, and Social Sciences
University of Hamburg
Von-Melle-Park 5
20146 Hamburg, Germany
Office: +49 (40) 42838 4676