Sandy,

I am currently using four measures of homophily using UCINet's analyses  to examine gender homophily, as well as internal/external tie homophily (is the alter within the same group or outside the group).  In UCINet, select the analysis, your dataset and a categorical attribute to get the results.  Here are my notes on the four types and the interpretation of the data.

If I am misunderstanding any of these measures, I would appreciate someone responding and clarifying

Thanks -

Julie

Pct Homophily = Percentage of ego's ties that have same (attribute); Percent: Number of ties between ego and an alter in the same attribute category divided by ego's total number of ties.

E-I Index = Index of whether ego's ties are homophilus, based on proportion of ties in-group (homophily) and out-group (heterophily)

Neg result = more internal (homophily)

Pos result = more external (heterophily)

Closer to zero = more balanced; Closer to 1 = 1 less balanced

Yules Q = measure of alter similarity  = A measure of similarity which ranges from -1 for perfect heterophily to +1 for perfect homophily.  A value of 0 means no pattern of homophily.

 Cohen Kappa:  measure of complete agreement (homophily)= The measure of categorical agreement on the specified attribute for the ego with each alter.  A value of 1 means complete agreement.  A value of 0 means no more agreement than expected by chance.

Julie M. Hite
Brigham Young University
Dept. of Educational Leadership & Foundations
306J MCKB
Provo, UT  84602
801-422-5039
(voice  mail creates audio file to my email)