Donna, the website Mon Nasser offered you is a good source of some basic
information.  What you're describing is in-class tutoring, not SI which
is a very different model, so you don't want to confuse this effort in
your own mind by thinking that having student staff sitting in the
classroom indicates SI.  In-class writing tutoring is not uncommon in
developmental writing and, at times, even in freshman composition (it
sometimes occurs in developmental math programs as well).  The question
of what role the tutors play is generally determined by the instructor
of the course, not the writing center staff, though they often are the
individuals who talk with the instructors, so as to ensure that any
appropriate training is provided (either collaboratively or by whichever
entity is better indicated).

Gen

Dr. Gen M. Ramirez
Director, Learning Assistance Center