Ginny's answer (below), and Larry's discussion a few weeks ago about Standards & guidelines has prompted me to attempt to compile a comprehensive list of all standards, guidelines, technical specifications, etc. that apply to records management. (I do have a copy of Eugenia Brumm and Diane Carlisle's excellent article in the Nov/Dec 2005 edition of IMJ on RIM Program standards.)

If you would like to contribute to this compilation, please send standards that you use or are aware of (to this list, so everyone who wants to can make their own compilation) even if they are industry-specific. Please provide some description and categorization (i.e. "standard," "guideline," "technical spec,"), as I will categorize them in my compilation.

Or - if there already exists a resource that has this compilation, let me know.

Of course I will share what I come up with with anyone who requests it.

Thanks for your help,
Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick:
In addition to the standards for microfilm mentioned by Bob Breslawski in his message, I recommend the following national and international standards or guides for the longevity stability and/or storage of various media:

ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992 (R2002) ISSN: 1041-5653,Permanence of Paper for Publications and Documents in Libraries and Archives

Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs — A Guide for Librarians and Archivists (NIST Special Publication 500-252, October 2003)

ISO 11108:1996 Information and documentation -- Archival paper -- Requirements for permanence and durability

ISO 18925
Imaging materials  - Optical Disc Media – Storage Practices

ISO 18923
Imaging materials – Polyester Base Magnetic Tape – Storage Practices

ISO 18901
Processed Silver-Gelatin Type Black-and-White Film – Specifications for Stability

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division