I would add the following: Marie Cardinal, The Words to Say It and Michael Greenberg, Hurry Down Sunshine.  Also, I want to mention my own memoir Crying at the Movies, which deals with depression/deferred mourning for the sudden death of my father when I was a child.   Madelon

Julie Kostrey wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Recent posts re: Southern writers/addiction made me think of eccentric Carson McCullers who suffered from a neurological disorder, emotional problems, and alcoholism.  She has an unfinished autobiography.  http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/15/books/in-unfinished-memoirs-carson-mccullers-recalls-a-struggle-to-write.html?pagewanted=all

From: suzy liz <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, June 21, 2010 6:19:13 AM
Subject: Re: Memoir request

Will be very interested in reading what you write as a result.

As a woman born and reared in the American South, I have very often
observed that a mental-illness diagnosis has traditionally been, and
in some parts of this region remains, still, how families "identify"
unmarried (especially about-to-be-divorced, adult, female members of
the family.)

Sincerely,

Susan

--