Hello BESTers,

This is an excellent article that describes the seemingly
paradoxical problems we have in the US of food waste, obesity, and
hunger.  It outlines a study by the National Institues of Health
on food waste at a national level.  One startling statistic is the
the food we throw away uses 25% percent of the US fresh water.
Another surprise they found is that 60% of food waste is generated
by the consumer.  This means most food waste is a result of an
individual's decision to toss something when in many cases it is
still perfectly fine to eat.  I encourage everyone to pursue this
issue further and to rethink what they do with their food waste.
Maybe that banana can still be eaten with a few brown spots.
Maybe these leftovers would be good for lunch tomorrow.  Society
can make huge accomplishments through personal behavior changes.

Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/07/cheap_food_is_not_cheap_to_pro.html

Cheap food is not cheap to produce, and easy to throw away
Oreganlive.com
Ben Pittman-Polletta
July 9, 2010