  This posting reminded me of an old Simpsons' episode called "Lard of
the Dance."  In a nutshell, Homer learns that there's a market for bacon
grease, and so he proceeds to start up a business in which he buys a
bunch of bacon for the purpose of extracting the grease. Needless to
say, the income margins for this business model left a lot to be
desired...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard_of_the_Dance.

In any case, I think that the Simpsons' episode, the butter/fuel
process, and the cooking oil to biodiesel process all illustrate an
important aspect of "waste" energy. On the one hand, one can pretty much
guarantee that the processes are net energy losses from a total life
cycle perspective (i.e., including embedded energy from crop/feed
production, transport fuel, processing infrastructure, etc.). Thus, it's
inappropriate to treat any of these processes as true energy sources.

On the other hand, we also have to consider that our society is already
producing bacon fat, excess butter, and used cooking oil as a matter of
course. When looked at in this way, the question becomes what is the
most energy-efficient/environmentally appropriate way to deal with this
stuff as it exists. Any energy or economic return we get from waste is
basically a bonus associated with good house-keeping, and not a primary
rationale for cooking bacon, making butter, or frying food in the first
place. So even if these processes are not true energy sources, there are
likely energy savings that can be achieved through utilization rather
than "business as usual".

-Jason

--
Jason M. Evans, Ph.D.