Dear BESTers,

I hope you'll pardon my posting something that is not bioenergy related
(although I suppose one could stretch the definition of "sustainable
technology" to include protection of critical habitat), but I just wanted
to share this news about one of my favorite places. I'll also confess a
great affection for many of the people that have worked long and hard to
make this happen. In any case, some welcome good news!

http://www.savethemanatee.org/news_feature_three_sisters_7-10.html

Itís been a long time coming, but it looks like Three Sisters Springs has
finally been saved.

The fate of the deal was assured on Monday, July 12th, when Crystal River
City Council members voted unanimously to accept joint ownership of the
Three Sisters Springs property, along with the South Florida Water
Management District. The property will be managed by the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service and included as part of the Crystal River National
Wildlife Refuge. The agency plans to provide observation decks on the
property where the public can view endangered manatees.

-Jason