Commercial airlines may derive 1 percent of their fuel by 2015 from biofuels made of plants including algae, Boeing Co.’s environment chief said.

The key now is to scale up production of the biofuels, said James Rekoske, vice president and general manager of renewable energy and chemicals at Honeywell International Inc.’s UOP unit, which licenses refining technology.

“They’re actually not made in major quantities at this point,” Rekoske said in an interview this week at the Farnborough Air Show south of London. “We have the largest facility in the world and we’ve produced biofuels at about 200,000 gallons this year, which is really a very small quantity compared to what the airlines would need.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-22/commercial-airlines-may-get-1-of-fuel-from-biofuels-by-2015-boeing-says.html

Dr. Stephen R. Humphrey, Director,
School of Natural Resources and Environment,
Box 116455, 103 Black Hall, University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611-6455  USA
Tel. 352-392-9230, Fax 352-392-9748
http://snre.ufl.edu