Based on our results from the spatial analysis and the location of biorefineries
across the United States, we conclude that the net energy supplied to society by ethanol is
only 0.8% of that supplied from gasoline. Recent work indicates that only energy sources
extracted at EROIs of 3:1 or greater have the requisite net energy to sustain the infrastructure
of the transportation system of the United States. In light of this work, we
conclude that production of corn ethanol within the United States is unsustainable and
requires energy subsidies from the larger oil economy.