Based on our results from the spatial analysis and the location of biorefineries

across the United States, we conclude that the net energy supplied to society by ethanol is

only 0.8% of that supplied from gasoline. Recent work indicates that only energy sources

extracted at EROIs of 3:1 or greater have the requisite net energy to sustain the infrastructure

of the transportation system of the United States. In light of this work, we

conclude that production of corn ethanol within the United States is unsustainable and

requires energy subsidies from the larger oil economy.