What specific features about WM impressed you?

If you're not in the mood to build your own functions but still want a
flexible& scalable analytic package, there are a wide variety of free and
relatively well-documented packages for R such as network, sna, and statnet.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Jeff Nickerson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I find Mathematica one of many valuable tools for analyzing social
> networks. If you want to use it, understand that you will end up
> building many of your own functions - there are few canned procedures
> specific to social networks. But there is a rich set of mathematical
> primitives to draw from, including a range of graph traversal
> algorithms. In particular, see the wonderful book Computational
> Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics And Graph Theory With Mathematica
> by Steven S. Skiena and Sriram Pemmaraju. Also, for visualizing
> networks, look at the GraphPlot functionality in the Mathematica
> documentation. You will find out what Mathematica is strong at, and
> you will probably use other tools, including the many packages in R,
> for tasks that Mathematica is not ideal for.
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Renato Matheus <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > I attended a commercial presentation of Wolfram Mathematica (WM)
> software. It
> > impressed me very much.
> >
> > I'd like to know your opinion (Does it deserve attention as I guess
> now?), as
> > well as suggestions, examples and papers, about the possible use WM in
> the
> > analysis of SN data. Such software has a graph package, a data library
> and
> > functionalities for statistical and interactive data analysis and
> visualization.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I couldn't find many papers from social network area that
> mention
> > it.
> >
> > I've done an initial search. I far as I know there is no reference to WM
> in
> > Linton Freeman, and Mak Huisman and Marijtje Duijn's chapters (in Models
> and
> > Methods in SNA book). INSNA website old software list does not mention it
> also.
> > My search ("social network" "Wolfram mathematica") in Google Schoolar
> returned
> > just 1 paper, and in Google Web returned mainly commercial links from
> Wolfram.
> > There is no relevant reference in SOCNET list archive. Finally, I've
> found only
> > 2 real citations in Social Networks journal (John P. Boyda and William J.
> > Fitzgeraldb et al. deal with core/periphery structure).
> >
> > Is that all?
> >
> > Currently, I adopt UCINET. I'm testing WM functionalities for SNA in my
> academic
> >
> > project.
> >

> > For those that eventually don't know WM, there are some [graphical]
> > demonstrations in:
> > http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/search.html?query=social+network.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Renato Fabiano http://www.rfmatheus.com.br
> > PhD Student at UFMG, Brazil http://ppgci.eci.ufmg.br/

Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society
School of Communication, Northwestern University

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology,
Center for Technology & Social Behavior