Hi Michael,

I programmed in R some of the algorithms including the Jackson & Rogers
model for my Social Networks course. Please have a look at the course
website:

http://merlin.fae.ua.es/vanderleij/socialnetworks_0809/index.htm

in particular the file gennetw.R, Homework Set 6 and its solution program.

A disclaimer, though. Feel free to use any files on the site (with the
appropriate acknowledgements, of course), but be aware that I haven't tested
it sufficiently for general use. If you find any mistakes or have any
doubts, then please let me know, such that I can update the files.

Kind regards,
Marco

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:28:37 +0200, Haenlein, Michael wrote

> Dear colleagues,
>
> For a research project I'm currently working on, I need to generate
> a large number of random graphs. Currently, I'm doing this using the
> "igraph" library within the R computing environment and specifically
> the functions "erdos.renyi.game" and "watts.strogatz.game". The
> problem is, however, that neither an Erdos-Renyi random graph nor a
> Watts-Strogatz small world graph have the same set of
> characteristics than real life social networks.
>
> For this reason, I'd like to try out a different method, namely the
> one described in a paper by Matthew Jackson and Brian Rogers
> ("Meeting strangers and friends of friends: How random are social
> networks"), published in the American Economic Review (Vol. 97, No.
> 3) in June 2007. I have a Mathematica code that is able to generate
> random graphs consistent with this model, but my knowledge of
> Mathematica is rather limited. Additionally, I'm running my main
> analysis in R, which means that at the moment I'm generating graphs
> in Mathematica, export them to a txt file and import them again into
> R. Evidently, this process is quite manual and tedious.
>
> My question is therefore whether anyone knows of a code within the R
> computing environment that is able to generate random graphs
> consistent with the Jackson & Rogers model. Alternatively, it there
> is some way to call Mathematica within R that would be helpful as well.
>
> Thanks very much for letting me know,
>
> Michael
>
> Michael Haenlein
> Professor of Marketing
> ESCP Europe - The School of Management for Europe
> 79, Avenue de la République | 75011 Paris | France

Dr Marco J. van der Leij
University Lecturer
Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge
Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge CB3 9DD, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1223 335207. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Assistant Professor (on leave)
Dpto. Fundamentos del Análisis Económico
Universidad de Alicante
Homepage: http://merlin.fae.ua.es/vanderleij/