Charles Kadushin : Making Connections: Network Theory, Concepts and
Findings, Oxford University Press, will be out in 2011. It had a chapter
on network history but in view of the many other good treatments and a
lack of space I dropped it. If you request it, I can send you the draft.
One of the interesting things I discovered while writing it is that even
though people in the network field, as compared with some others, have
unusually good and collegial relations with one another, possibly
because we ourselves started as an informal network (INSNA's original
principle of management was "trust me"), every history of the field is a
political statement that is bound to exalt some and offend others. The
outpouring of suggested sources for histories will bear this out.

On 7/10/2010 8:58 AM, Barry Wellman wrote:

> 1. Barry Wellman, "Networking Network Analysts: How INSNA (the
> International Network for Social Network Analysis) Came to Be."
> Connections 23, 1 (Summer, 2000): 20-31
>
> 2. Barry Wellman, "Structural Analysis: From Method and Metaphor to
> Theory and Substance." Pp. 19-61 in Social Structures: A Network
> Approach, edited by Barry Wellman and S.D. Berkowitz. Cambridge:
> Cambridge University Press, 1988.
>
> 3. "The Network Revolution" chapter in Rainie-Wellman Networked: The
> New Social Operating System. Not quite finished. MIT PRess, 2011.
>
> 4. Charles Kadushin's new book (out yet?) for Oxford University Press.
>

>  Barry Wellman
>
>   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab Director
>   Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388
>   University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4   twitter:barrywellman
>   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman             fax:+1-416-978-3963
>   Updating history:      http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

Telephone: 212-865-4369

http://home.earthlink.net/~ckadushin/index.html