I feel obliged to defend my use of Mathematica. The obvious reply to the
remark that "hey! It's free" is that sometimes you really do get what you
pay for. The density of bugs in Mathematica seems much lower than in the
social network packages that I've tried. Also, I've realized that sadly I'm
not as good at writing low level code (say in C) as are the professionals
who produce Mathematica (or MatLab for number crunching, SAS for standard
statistics). Of course, it all comes down to your own personal needs and
preferences, but here is what I like about Mathematica. Tell me you're not
blown away by the following video:

http://www.wolfram.com/broadcast/screencasts/introducingmathematica7/

Mathematica has many graph theoretic graphing and analysis functions. E.g.
here are just the GraphData functions and predicates starting with the
letter "a":

Acyclic, AdjacencyMatrix, AllImages, AllVertexCoordinates, AlternateNames,
AlternateStandardNames, AlternateVertexCoordinates, Andrasfai,
AntelopesTour, Antiprism, Apollonian, Archimedean, ArchimedeanDual,
ArcTransitive, ArcTransitivity, ArticulationVertices, Asymmetric,
AutomorphismCount, Automorphisms.

All are computed with the best known algorithms.

Like many  program Mathematica can do numerical integration, but it also
does symbolic integration. For example, a problem from Ramanujan' s
notebooks can be solved with the input,

Integrate[Log[(1 + Sqrt[1 + 4 x])/2]/x, {x, 0, 1}]

giving the exact, symbolic answer, Pi^2/15.

Finally, Mathematica because it takes me out of the narrow confines of
social networks and into the world of real math and science. It makes me
learn something new every time I use it. What is life about except growth?

John Boyd

the message.