From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Barry Wellman
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A challenge: trends AWAY from networks

Folks,

Lee Rainie and I have just drafted The Network Revolution chapter in
which
we talk about the trend towards a Networked Society. (This is for our
Networked book -- MIT Press, out in a year.) We document a dozen things,

such as tech (ICTs), interstate hiways (and Euro equivalents), family
and
work reconfigurations, etc.

But Lee has issued me a challenge, which I am transitively passing on to

you:

Are there trends leading back to bounded-group based societies in the
developed world? (Its easy to think of such trends in insecure 3rd world

societies, where people have reason to fear attacks from strangers.)

Looking forward to your suggestions.

  Barry Wellman