This gives a brief history of networks in anthropology.

J.C. Johnson. “Anthropological Contributions to the Study of Social Networks: A Review.” In (S. Wasserman and J. Galaskiowicz, eds.) Advances in Social Network Analysis: Research in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Sage: Newbury Park. 1994.

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian McCulloh [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 7:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History of social network analysis - references?

***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** I made a power point slide on this for a presentation a while back, but it is not complete by any means.  Russ Bernard was very helpful in putting it together with me.  Lynton Freeman also wrote a short history which I think is on the INSNA site and maybe even in wikipedia.  There is a short history outlined in Wasserman and Faust 1994.

I'm sure others will contribute as well.  I look forward to seeing what you put together.

Best of luck.

Ian McCulloh