Barry's story about brushing close to Steinbrenner at the Sun Belt Conference site at the Bay Harbor Inn is valid. Steinbrenner also owned the nearby race track, Tampa Bay Downs. Those were the days!
--Alvin Wolfe

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barry Wellman
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: steinbrenner and socnet

US news media are filled with the death of George Steinbrenner, the
legendary owner of the NY Yankees.

They probably won't mention that Steinbrenner also owned the Bay Harbor
Inn in Tampa, where the Sunbelt conference was often held in our earlier,
smaller years.

I remember George having breakfast near me at one time. I didn't dare
approach him because he was then in his early "off with their heads" phase
-- firing managers and players loudly and repeatedly.

I do share one trait: when I went to buy something at the hotel's little
store, I left the pennies on the counter. "I never carry them," I said.
"Oh, you're just like Mr Steinbrenner. He doesn't want them either."

  Barry Wellman