Dear Scott,

the igraph library (http://igraph.sourceforge.net/) for use with R has the single command bipartite.projection (http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/bipartite.projection.html), which will give you the top-projection (you network of legislators) as well as the bottom-projection (your network of interest groups) of your two-mode network. The igraph package itself as well as R also provide a number of import commands for your raw data.

Best, Steffen.

-
Dr. Steffen Blaschke
Assistant Professor at the Chair of Organization and Management
Faculty of Business, Economics, and Social Sciences
University of Hamburg
Von-Melle-Park 5
20146 Hamburg, Germany
Office: +49 (40) 42838 4676