actually, we have strong data that it does;-) See Mok, Wellman, Carrasco,
"Does Distance Matter in the Age of the Internet?" which eventually will
come out in Urban Studies (2+ years in the queue) but is available
immediately on my website.

Thanks for the opportunity for the plug, David.

I think we should make Sticky Fingers the official album of Sunbelt 11.
  Barry Wellman