---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:57:23 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Some good news

Hi Barry,

I suppose you're enjoying sunny Italy about now.  I'm
envious.

My co-author and I just received a prize for a paper
that I sent to you earlier.  I suppose that I'm the
only sociologist to have received this.  Here's a more
formal announcement:

Brent Lindquist (Applied Math and Statistics) and Ivan
Chase have received the Lee Segel Prize awarded by the
Society of Mathematical Biology for the best original
research paper published in the Bulletin of
Mathematical Biology, the official journal for the
Society, during 2008 and 2009. The prize is awarded
every two years and will be presented at the Society's
annual meeting in Krakow next July. The recipient paper
is:

 W. Brent Lindquist and Ivan D. Chase,   Data-based
analysis of winner-loser models of hierarchy formation
in animals, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology,  71(3) :
556-584,  2009.

In addition to the biological content, there is a
fairly extensive section in the paper which presents
some new methods for following the development of
relationships in small networks using dominance
hierarchy data for illustration.

Have a great time,

Ivan