Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit abstracts of your research for the second *Workshop
on Information in Networks** (WIN)*, to be held at New York University *Friday,
September 24th and Saturday, September 25th, 2010*.

Briefly, the goal of WIN is to facilitate interaction between leading
researchers studying information in networks from different perspectives
towards nurturing conversation across fields and building a stronger
multidisciplinary research community. During the workshop, speakers will
share their recent research, which may have been published elsewhere, but
which may not be widely known outside of their own disciplines, and each
session will include substantial time for discussion.

The program of last year's workshop along with video recordings of its talks
can be found at

http://www.winworkshop.net/

I have pasted a longer call for participation/abstracts below this message.
We look forward to receiving your abstracts on or before *August 5th, 2010*,
and to seeing you again at NYU in September.

Best regards,

Arun

(On behalf of Sinan Aral, Foster Provost and Arun Sundararajan)

Call for Participation and Abstract Submission: The Second Workshop on
Information in Networks

September 24-25, 2010, New York City

Sponsored in part by the Initiative on Information in Networks

Organizers: Sinan Aral, Foster Provost, Arun Sundararajan

We are pleased to announce the second Workshop on Information in Networks
(WIN). Last year’s workshop brought together a small yet influential
community around topics that at their core involve ‘information in
networks‘—its distribution, its diffusion, its value, and its influence on
social and economic outcomes. Scholars from fields as diverse as computer
science, economics, information systems, marketing, physics, political
science and sociology came together to lay the foundation for ongoing
relationships and to build a multidisciplinary research community. This
year’s workshop will build on this foundation toward bringing more
innovative content and vibrant discussion to the forum. Speakers will share
their recent research, which may have been published elsewhere, but which
may not be widely known outside of their own disciplines. The workshop will
combine invited and contributed talks with poster presentations selected
from a pool of submitted abstracts. We hope the energy of New York City will
inspire the gathering, and that our participants will leave with new ideas
and a renewed sense of community.

Abstract Submission

================

Contributing participants will be selected based on the extended abstracts
they submit. Please submit an extended abstract of no more than 3 pages to
Shirley Lau ([log in to unmask]) on or before August 5, 2010. We invite
descriptions of research about any interesting aspect of information in
networks. We especially hope to include some research presentations around
the topic of “information networks in development”.

Abstracts will be evaluated as they are submitted until the program is
filled.  Space is quite limited, so interested researchers should submit
their abstracts as soon as possible. Authors of accepted abstracts will be
notified by August 20, 2010 and will be asked to submit a final 5-page
version (including references and figures), by September 1 , 2010.  These
accepted abstracts will be printed and distributed as informal workshop
notes. Members of the press may attend the event and submission therefore
indicates no objection to their presence during presentations.

Confirmed Speakers (as of July 1, 2010)

==============================

Ron Burt, University of Chicago

Nicholas Christakis, Harvard University

Nathan Eagle, MIT

Sanjeev Goyal, Cambridge University

Matthew Jackson, Stanford University

Tony Jebara, Columbia University

David Jensen, University of Massachussetts

Michael Kearns, University of Pennsylvania

Rachel Kranton, Duke University

David Lazer, Northeastern University

Mark Newman, University of Michigan (tentative)

Alex Sandy Pentland, MIT

Alessandro Vespignani, Indiana University

Stanley Wasserman, Indiana University

Duncan Watts, Yahoo! Research

Key Dates

========

Workshop Dates: September 24-25, 2010.

Abstract Submission: August 5, 2010.

Notification to Authors: August 20, 2010.

Final Abstract Submission: September 1, 2010.

Early Registration: September 5, 2010

Arun Sundararajan
Associate Professor and NEC Faculty Fellow
http://oz.stern.nyu.edu/
http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/faculty/facultyindex.cgi?id=155