On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I also haven't seen any evidence that locavores are a significant percentage of the population (despite media trendiness) or are a densely-knit group.

Not wishing to beat a dead horse, but what percentage would be significant?

I'm guessing it's an urban phenomenon, in some areas fairly large and growing.  In Austin, it's a thriving market driving the proliferation of farmers' markets and local food events. The movement, if you want to call it that, supports a very successful local publication: http://www.edibleaustin.com/content/

Not sure where to find real numbers usable as evidence in research, but there's definitly something there, and it seems to've escalated beyond mere "trendiness," assuming by that you really mean faddishness.

~ Jon L.

--
Jon Lebkowsky
+1 512.762-6547