Our students are given the option to notify their professor about their
visit or keep it confidential.  If they choose to notify the professor,
we answer any questions about the session.  If they choose
confidentiality, then we do not share any information, including whether
or not a session occurred.  Faculty have never asked us about sitting in
on a session, but my inclination would be to politely decline as it
would upset the balance of the session and likely distract the student
and tutor.

Incidentally, we send weekly notifications, by e-mail, to all faculty,
and the Athletics department, for the visits of students who do not
choose the confidentiality option.  It keeps the faculty and coaches
aware of what is occurring and feeling more connected.  The students
sometimes earn credit for their visits.  Student athletes are allowed to
spend some of their mandatory weekly study time with us, so it keeps
clear lines of communication there as well.  Well over 90% of student
visits are open as a result.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Director, Peer Tutoring Program
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"When asked what learning was the most necessary, he [Plato] said, 'Not
to unlearn what you have learned!" -- Diogenes Laertius