Our program is based upon student confidentiality. Tutoring is for the student, not the professor. It is a personal choice; it should be the student's decision if the professor is informed about attendance. Since tutoring is voluntary, it should not impact the students' grades; however, we have had professors offer extra credit if students attend tutoring. Our program has discouraged this practice because students who attend solely for extra credit come unprepared and disengaged. Students should be treated equally whether they chose to be tutored or not so we see no reason to breach confidentiality.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herrion, Dobbie R.
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 10:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutor Confidentiality

I'm sure this is a very old conversation, but I'd like to know what position many of you take when a faculty members asks to know who's attending tutoring and or if they can sit in on a session? Although I've always been a firm believer that the process is voluntary and anonymous, I just want to make sure things haven't changed now that more and more faculty are heavily supporting the idea of it.

Dobbie R. Herrion
Director, Academic Support Center
St. Louis Community College, Florissant Valley
3400 Pershall Road
St. Louis, MO  63135
Phone:  314-513-4639