From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karin Winnard
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 11:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor Confidentiality

Hi Debbie and Collegues,

I have always believed it is the student who is accountable and
responsible for their decisions and choices and that we are here to guide
them in the quest to strengthen their skills and strategies in order to
achieve that.  Having said that.....

Students can currently request evidence of their participation in a
session by having us email them their log-in information for being here.
They in turn, take responsibility to mail it to their instructors.  The
tutors I have supervised over the years have never kept logs... up to the
student to keep track of their progress.  This year, however, we are going
to do something new that I believe will meet the needs of a few groups
while still keeping the tutee in charge.  And it is response to the
student population and needs of this campus community.

A colleague of mine came up with the idea to have the tutee keep a log of
what they did in session.  We have developed (mostly her... giving credit
where credit is due) a form that we will pilot this fall and at least
right now, I think it will work.  If a faculty member wants to see what
the student was working on in session, it is  the student's responsibility
and decision and not ours, to provide that faculty member with
information.  Once again, it takes the responsibility and work off of the
tutor and puts it on the tutee where I believe it belongs.

This year we will be working more on doing campus outreach and improving
faculty relations, now that I feel we have a solid foundation for the
services we are providing.  It's been a couple of shaky years but I think
we are moving in a good direction now.

We do have a Writing Center that does provide lots of information to the
English Department faculty ... which is where they were housed.  Now with
the reorganization that is happening around campus, we will be reporting
to the same person so things may or may not change.  The Writing Center on
our campus has a very good reputation.

Hope this is helpful.  Please do not request a copy of our log sheet until
December when we know whether it worked or not.

Have a great rest of the summer and thank you to everyone for their
comments on thie subject.  Always interesting.

Karin E. Winnard, Tutorial Coordinator
Learning Assistance Resource Center
Undergraduate Studies
San Josť State University
San Josť, CA 95192
Evaluator, NCLCA
 Evaluator, ITCP 1988-2008
Past President, ACCTLA (1990-93)

The information in this email message may be privileged, confidential, and
protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
think you have received this email in error, please email the sender and
delete all copies.

"Herrion, Dobbie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
07/19/2010 07:45 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Tutor Confidentiality

I'm sure this is a very old conversation, but I'd like to know what
position many of you take when a faculty members asks to know who's
attending tutoring and or if they can sit in on a session? Although I've
always been a firm believer that the process is voluntary and anonymous, I
just want to make sure things haven't changed now that more and more
faculty are heavily supporting the idea of it.

Dobbie R. Herrion
Director, Academic Support Center
St. Louis Community College, Florissant Valley
3400 Pershall Road
St. Louis, MO  63135
Phone:  314-513-4639

browser to