This sounds like a great idea. In my experience removing
intermediaries between student and faculty and student and learning
center professional is the best practice because it promotes
responsibility and commitment.
I really like this creative solution because it also promotes self-
monitoring, reflection and  assessment. Can't wait to see the document
in December.
Thanks for sharing this,
Nic
On Jul 19, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Karin Winnard wrote:

> Hi Debbie and Collegues,
>
> I have always believed it is the student who is accountable and
> responsible for their decisions and choices and that we are here to
> guide
> them in the quest to strengthen their skills and strategies in order
> achieve that.  Having said that.....
>
> Students can currently request evidence of their participation in a
> session by having us email them their log-in information for being
> here.
> They in turn, take responsibility to mail it to their instructors.
> The
> tutors I have supervised over the years have never kept logs... up
> to the
> student to keep track of their progress.  This year, however, we are
> going
> to do something new that I believe will meet the needs of a few groups
> while still keeping the tutee in charge.  And it is response to the
> student population and needs of this campus community.
>
> A colleague of mine came up with the idea to have the tutee keep a
> log of
> what they did in session.  We have developed (mostly her... giving
> credit
> where credit is due) a form that we will pilot this fall and at least
> right now, I think it will work.  If a faculty member wants to see
> what
> the student was working on in session, it is  the student's
> responsibility
> and decision and not ours, to provide that faculty member with
> information.  Once again, it takes the responsibility and work off
> of the
> tutor and puts it on the tutee where I believe it belongs.
>
> This year we will be working more on doing campus outreach and
> improving
> faculty relations, now that I feel we have a solid foundation for the
> services we are providing.  It's been a couple of shaky years but I
> think
> we are moving in a good direction now.
>
> We do have a Writing Center that does provide lots of information to
> the
> English Department faculty ... which is where they were housed.  Now
> with
> the reorganization that is happening around campus, we will be
> reporting
> to the same person so things may or may not change.  The Writing
> Center on
> our campus has a very good reputation.
>
> Hope this is helpful.  Please do not request a copy of our log sheet
> until
> December when we know whether it worked or not.
>
> Have a great rest of the summer and thank you to everyone for their
> comments on thie subject.  Always interesting.
>
> Karin E. Winnard, Tutorial Coordinator
> Learning Assistance Resource Center
> Undergraduate Studies
> San Josť State University
> San Josť, CA 95192
> [...]

____________________________________
Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
(609)258-6921
http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/

Associate Director
McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning
328C Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

Individual Appointment Times:
By appointment for summer 2010

"A university is, according to the usual designation, an alma mater,
knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a
treadmill."-John Henry Newman