On our campus, most of our tutoring is voluntary. However, there are exceptions. Some professors give extra credit to encourage attendance, and some of our Facilitated Groups are required, especially if grades fall below a certain level. We did this because we have a small student body, and students were not taking advantage of the available help, especially when our center was new or when programs were new.

For classes in which participation creates extra credit, I do submit a TutorTrac report to each of the involved faculty members at midterms and at finals. There are no notes, just number of visits and hours spent.

Our Math department uses the visits information in another way. They can tell who needs more encouragement and who is working. Our faculty members have close contact with our students since we have a low student-faculty ratio and a small campus.

In addition, our academic advisors will occasionally request a report on a particular student. Sometimes a students will do poorly in class and say they went to labs. When the advisor checks, the student may have gone once or not at all. When parents get involved, with the student's permission, of course, then they may want to know what we did to help the student, and the advisors can tell by the TutorTrac report.  Again, this way we get at the truth.

Holly

Holly G. Genser, Director
Learning Resource Center: Discover Your Path to Academic Success!
Northwood University, FL Campus
2600 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL 33409-2911

NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY: Developing the future leaders of a global, free-enterprise society