Our tutoring lab employs only student tutors.  The only real troublesome aspect is working a tutoring schedule around their class schedules; tutoring sometimes depends on when the tutors are available - which in some cases conflicts with when the students need it most.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holliday, Tacy
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Student Employees

Greetings Learning Assistance Colleagues:

At my college, the issue of student employees has been a hot topic. Does your center employee students? What roles do they have? What has worked well for you? What has been troublesome?

My center has two jobs that students can do. If they met the requirements, they can serve as a tutor. They are always supervised in tutoring because there is always a full time staff person on duty at the center where the tutoring takes place, but the supervision is usually loose so as not to interfere with the tutoring. Students that met different requirements also serve as our help desk assistants. They have responsibilities that are a cross between receptionist, triage nurse, and secretary. They greet students, get them signed in, get them to the appropriate resource (computer, tutor, textbook, etc.), help with clerical duties, and do light cleaning to keep the center neat and organized. I've had some terrific student employees that are anecdotal support for the value of human cloning, and I've had others that I've had to terminate early in their "career."

I'd be interested in hearing your views. Feel free to contact me off list [log in to unmask], or join the discussion on list.

Tacy L. Holliday, PhD
Science Learning Center Director
Adjunct Faculty
Montgomery College