From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fosmire, Ellie
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 8:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Multiple-level learning center question

We are also on two floors in our library.  The math lab and "hard"
sciences are located upstairs.  The writing center houses humanities,
human and animal sciences, business and course specific tutoring.  We
also have tutors in a few of the science labs and tech labs (multimedia
& electronics). The librarians are also great about directing folks to
the right area in the Learning Commons.

To add to the mix my office is in a different section of the college (in
advising) due to my dual roles of advising and course specific tutoring.
I often walk students to the area they needs.

The professional staff do group presentations at college events and
often visit the classes specific to their area.  For course specific
especially we ask students to make up personalized flyers and post them
in the class rooms where there subject matter is taught.  I catch a bit
of traffic from students who are choosing to drop.  They get directed to
me and I let them know about tutoring services that may help them with
the course.  The instructors are also very supportive in directing
students to our services.  We also try to hold events each semester that
bring folks into the tutoring centers for tutor recognition and other
fun celebrations.

We have great traffic and are often standing room only during the common
hours.  The most important thing is to create an environment that is
welcoming and hire tutors with good interpersonal skills.

Ellie