I agree with Peter. There isn't anything an iPad can do that can't be done with existing, low-cost, or no-cost technologies. Like Peter, I'm a bona fide nerd but, in these economic times in higher education, I couldn't justify having iPads just for the sake of having iPads.

I also believe that developmental students have enough work concentrating on grasping the concepts needed for college-level work and that the addition of learning a new technology, device, operating system, or application may be counterproductive.

Tim

________________________________

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Peter J. Pohler
Sent: Thu 7/22/2010 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Using the iPad in Developmental Classes

Hello Shari,

I'm going to pose this question to a few of our tutors here at our center.  They have a love for all things Apple, so they can probably find a few options that I wouldn't know.  In talking to one of them, he showed me an App called Khan's Academy that offers free videos of math.  Creating Podcasts for Apple iPad's might be an option for at least giving quick reviews of grammar structure, brainstorming, etc.  I'm sure that there has to be a way to use iPads in the classroom.

Being more of a PC nerd myself, I shy away from Apple due to sticker shock.  I don't know if this fits into your objectives, but an option for collaboration and helping students could be Microsoft Sky Drive.  It not only allows a student to store 250 GB of data online, but there are Internet versions of Microsoft Office Apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote).  It can be a more affordable option than purchasing programs for students that have Internet at home, but can't afford to purchase Microsoft Office at home.  You can also share files with others, which might help with collaboration at home or on campus.  If you want to check it out the website is http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive .

I hope that might be something that can be integrated into an iPad proposal easily (and cheaply!),

Peter Pohler
CLE Technician--Mid-Valley
Center for Learning Excellence (formerly the SSC)
(956) 447-6675