  The Spread of Behavior in an Online Social Network Experiment , Science

Abstract: How do social networks affect the spread of behavior? A popular
hypothesis states that networks with many clustered ties and a high degree
of separation will be less effective for behavioral diffusion than
networks in which locally redundant ties are rewired to provide shortcuts
across the social space. A competing hypothesis argues that when behaviors
require social reinforcement, a network with more clustering may be more
advantageous, even if the network as a whole has a larger diameter. I
investigated the effects of network structure on diffusion by studying the
spread of health behavior through artificially structured online
communities. Individual adoption was much more likely when participants
received social reinforcement from multiple neighbors in the social
network. The behavior spread farther and faster across clustered-lattice
networks than across corresponding random networks.

* [15] The Spread of Behavior in an Online Social Network Experiment,
Damon Centola, 2010/09/03, DOI: 10.1126/science.1185231, Science Vol. 329.
no. 5996, pp. 1194 - 1197
[15] http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1185231

----------------------------

  The effect of gossip on social networks , Complexity

Abstract: In this article, we develop a simple model for the effect of
gossip spread on social network structure. We define gossip as information
passed between two individuals A and B about a third individual C which
affects the strengths of all three relationships: it strengthens A-B and
weakens both B-C and A-C. We find, in both an analytic derivation and
model simulations, that if gossip does not spread beyond simple triads, it
destroys them but if gossip propagates through large dense clusters, it
strengthens them. Additionally, our simulations show that the effect of
gossip on network metrics (clustering coefficient, average-path-length,
and sum-of-strengths) varies with network structure and
average-node-degree.

* [31] The effect of gossip on social networks, Allison K. Shaw, Milena
Tsvetkova, Roozbeh Daneshvar, 2010/08/18, DOI: 10.1002/cplx.20334,
Complexity Early View
[31] http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cplx.20334

  Barry Wellman