All
I must say that is a strange request, friendships were one of the first
things my kids understood, did they provide any rationale for making
this restriction, it seems random to me.
Can you ask "Are friends with X"  Can't you just ask, "Name your best
friends"  This is pretty commonly done in middle and high schools.
-Tom

Uri Shwed wrote:

>Dear socnetters,
>I am designing  a data collection effort in elementary schools. I got permission to talk to all students in certain ages, and I wish to draw their friendship networks. My IRB restrictions, however, prohibit questions that may cause children to structure their self perception - specifically, my IRB refuses to approve questions such as "is X your friend?". They allow, however, questions like "Have you ever been to X's house?" or "Did you play with X in the past week?". Since many of you are experienced in designing such measures, I'd appreciate some suggestions for such elaborated questions. Naturally, I will edit all comments to a concise document and recirculate to the list.
>Thank you,
>Uri Shwed

Thomas W. Valente, PhD
http://www.usc.edu/medicine/mph/
Department of  Preventive Medicine
Keck  School of Medicine
University of Southern California
1000 S. Fremont Ave., Unit #8
Building A Room 5110
Alhambra CA 91803
phone: (626) 457-4139
cell: (626) 429-4123
fax: (626) 457-6699
email: [log in to unmask]

Social Networks and Health: Models, Methods, and Applications:
http://www.oup.com/us (promo code: 28569)

My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

The Empirical Networks Project