Dear Clement,

There are indeed few studies of scientific networks which do not use
co-authorship or similar bibliometric relations. An exception is a
survey by Crane, where she also asks about exchanges of preprints and
other relations.

Crane, D. (1972). Invisible colleges: Diffusion of knowledge in
scientific communities.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Another work is a study by Mullins, he asked in his snowball sample also
questions like "with whom do you had contact about research.":

  Mullins, N. C. (1968). The distribution of social and cultural
properties in
informal communication network among biological scientists. American
Sociological Review, 33 , 786-797.

There are surely some other similar studies, this are the two that come
into my mind. Perhaps a paper by Laudel is interesting to you, too. She
compares co-authorship relations with a typology of relations she
developed out of qualitative interviews, to find out what is measured
with co-authorship relations.

Laudel, G. (2002). What do we measure by co-authorship? Research Evaluation,
11 , 3(15).

kind regards
Richard

Am 19.09.2010 09:52, schrieb Clement Levallois:

> Dear list members,
>
> Networks in scientific communities have been extensively studied.
> Co-author networks and co-citation networks are to my knowledge the
> main approaches used to identify such networks.
>
> My question to you is, is there any literature which tried to map
> scientific networks based on a survey approach instead? (with
> questions such as: "who do you talk to" in [your scientific field, a
> conference, an academic organization, your university ...]
>
> Any reference would be very helpful!
>
> Best,
>
> Clement.
>
> _________________
>
> Clement Levallois, PhD
>
> Rotterdam School of Management | Erasmus Studio KNAW
>
> Erasmus University
>
> Room T10-16 Burg. Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA Rotterdam The Netherlands
>
> tel +31-10-4082578 | fax +31-10-4089011 email [log in to unmask] |
> www.clementlevallois.net <http://www.clementlevallois.net>

> Disclaimer
> De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n)
> is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van
> dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.
>
> The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. Read more:
> http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Dipl.-Soz. Richard Heidler
Lehrstuhl Soziologie II