***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Dear Clement,

There are indeed few studies of scientific networks which do not use co-authorship or similar bibliometric relations. An exception is a survey by Crane, where she also asks about exchanges of preprints and other relations.

Crane, D. (1972). Invisible colleges: Di ffusion of knowledge in scientifi c communities.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Another work is a study by Mullins, he asked in his snowball sample also questions like "with whom do you had contact about research.":

 Mullins, N. C. (1968). The distribution of social and cultural properties in
informal communication network among biological scientists. American
Sociological Review, 33 , 786-797.

There are surely some other similar studies, this are the two that come into my mind. Perhaps a paper by Laudel is interesting to you, too. She compares co-authorship relations with a typology of relations she developed out of qualitative interviews, to find out what is measured with co-authorship relations.

Laudel, G. (2002). What do we measure by co-authorship? Research Evaluation,
11 , 3(15).

kind regards
Richard