This is a bizarre interpretation of the regulations regarding human
subjects research.  Do they have any evidence that this is harmful?
Has your IRB heard of the Add Health study?

If you can't talk them into a more reasonable position, you might add IM
and email to your list of connections.  They are less likely to be
geographically bound -- though they do cost something.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Scott Gest wrote:

> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** I agree with Tom that this is a very unusual IRB position -- i think you could
> argue that virtually any question may cause children to "structure their self perception" to some extent.  I'd avoid basing ties on
> whether kids have visited each other's house as this is strongly affected by neighborhood geography and family dynamics.  If you
> can't ask about 'friends' directly as Tom suggests, then the "play together" wording is a good alternative -- perhaps rating each
> classmate in terms of "how many times have you played with X in the past month", with response options ranging from "never" to
> "almost every day".  Alternatively, you could consider aggregating several different dichotomous indicators of social contact to get
> a sense of tie strength -- e.g., played together at recess; sat together at lunch; played together in the classroom; talked in the
> hallway; told a secret to; etc.  You could sum them and treat as valued ties or dichotomize at a particular level.Good luck,
> Scott
>
> ---
>
> Scott D. Gest, Ph.D.
>
> Associate Professor, Human Development & Family Studies
>
> Penn State University
>
> 814-865-3464 office
>

> On Sep 1, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Thomas Valente wrote:
>
>       *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>
>       All
>       I must say that is a strange request, friendships were one of the first things my kids understood, did they provide any
>       rationale for making this restriction, it seems random to me.
>       Can you ask "Are friends with X"  Can't you just ask, "Name your best friends"  This is pretty commonly done in middle
>       and high schools.
>       -Tom
>
>       Uri Shwed wrote:
>
>             *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>

>             Dear socnetters,
>
>             I am designing  a data collection effort in elementary schools. I got permission to talk to all students in
>             certain ages, and I wish to draw their friendship networks. My IRB restrictions, however, prohibit questions
>             that may cause children to structure their self perception - specifically, my IRB refuses to approve
>             questions such as "is X your friend?". They allow, however, questions like "Have you ever been to X's
>             house?" or "Did you play with X in the past week?". Since many of you are experienced in designing such
>             measures, I'd appreciate some suggestions for such elaborated questions. Naturally, I will edit all comments
>             to a concise document and recirculate to the list.
>
>             Thank you,
>
>             Uri Shwed

>       --
>       Thomas W. Valente, PhD
>       Director, Master of Public Health Program
>       http://www.usc.edu/medicine/mph/
>       Department of  Preventive Medicine
>       Keck  School of Medicine
> [...]

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:	(206) 685-3402